Tuesday 16 August 2011

The protests!

While looking at the work on display at the Baltic I discovered the artist Maurizio Anzeri who mixes photography with textiles. He takes classical portraits and then embroiders over the top to enhance the images, as shown. It is such a simple idea but Anzeri makes the photographs come alive with this traditional textile art to create a very modern piece of work.






I wanted to try my own so found images of women protesting during the 60s. I found several black and white images with protest slogans wrote on banners in the images. I then decided to embroider the words, instead of the people, in red as many of the feminism organisations were wrote in red at the time. The end result was very effective as you immediately see what the purpose of the photographs are, the woman fighting for their rights to be individuals and equal to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment